Knoebels Timeline

1775 – 2015

  • March 7, 1775: John Penn, Governor, signs deed transferring 292 1/4 acres of land to John Salter.
    March 7, 1775: John Penn, Governor, signs deed transferring 292 1/4 acres of land to John Salter.

    The land, known as “Peggy’s Farm,” was purchased for the sum of 14 pounds, 12 shillings and 3 pence farthings and would later become Knoebels Grove. The land passed from owner to owner until 1828, when the Reverend Henry Hartman Knoebel bought the land for $931. Before and since that time, portions of "Peggy's Farm" were sold off and other parcels added. The Reverend Knoebel had a grandson who bore his name. It was this younger Knoebel who first envisioned the land's recreational potential. Henry, better known as H.H. or "Ole Hen", farmed the land and pursued a lumbering business operating saw mills at several different locations on the property.

  • 1880: The Knoebels family moves to
    1880: The Knoebels family moves to "Peggy's Farm."
  • July 4, 1926: Knoebels Amusement Resort is born.
    July 4, 1926: Knoebels Amusement Resort is born.

    The park's first attractions included the Crystal Pool, a merry-go-round and a few food stands.

  • 1930: Kiddie Plane Ride, 8 Car Whip & Lindy Loop added
    1930: Kiddie Plane Ride, 8 Car Whip & Lindy Loop added
  • 1932: Skating Rink (now Roaring Creek Saloon) and Penny Arcade (now Treasure Chest) are built.
    1932: Skating Rink (now Roaring Creek Saloon) and Penny Arcade (now Treasure Chest) are built.
  • 1934: Stony Gables was built and used as a cottage.
    1934: Stony Gables was built and used as a cottage.
  • 1937: Covered bridge leading to the campground is relocated from Benton by Lawrence Knoebel.
    1937: Covered bridge leading to the campground is relocated from Benton by Lawrence Knoebel.
  • 1940: Knoebels gets its first train: The Nickel Plate RR
    1940: Knoebels gets its first train: The Nickel Plate RR
  • 1941: Knoebels Grand Carousel is purchased.
    1941: Knoebels Grand Carousel is purchased.

    World War II begins just 10 days later.

  • 1943: Park is closed because of the war.
    1943: Park is closed because of the war.
  • 1946: Playland Arcade and Hawaiian Bandshell are built. They open officially in 1947.
    1946: Playland Arcade and Hawaiian Bandshell are built. They open officially in 1947.
  • 1946: Playland Arcade opens.
    1946: Playland Arcade opens.
  • 1947: Dodgem bumper cars are built.
    1947: Dodgem bumper cars are built.
  • 1948: Eli Ferris Wheel and Strato Ship are added.
    1948: Eli Ferris Wheel and Strato Ship are added.
  • 1949: The Alamo opens (built in Winter 1948). Pony Rides & the Jukebox Dance Floor are added.
    1949: The Alamo opens (built in Winter 1948). Pony Rides & the Jukebox Dance Floor are added.
  • 1954: Petting Zoo opens.
    1954: Petting Zoo opens.
  • 1955: Satellite, Lead Shooting Gallery, the Whip, Overland Coaster, Handcars and Motor Boats come to the park.
    1955: Satellite, Lead Shooting Gallery, the Whip, Overland Coaster, Handcars and Motor Boats come to the park.
  • 1956: Pony Town children's ride is introduced (the sign is still used now at the General Store).
    1956: Pony Town children's ride is introduced (the sign is still used now at the General Store).

    Panther Cars (originally located on the land that is currently occupied by remote boats; the 1972 flood forced a relocation and refurbishment in 1975 to its current location) and Moonrocker Ride also make their appearance at Knoebels.

  • 1960: Olde Smokey pioneer train comes to the park.
    1960: Olde Smokey pioneer train comes to the park.
  • 1962: Kiddie Helicopters and the Spindle become the first rides in the western section of the park.
    1962: Kiddie Helicopters and the Spindle become the first rides in the western section of the park.

    Monday night dances are held in the Skating Rink with live bands.

  • 1963: Campground opens with nine campsites (now we have over 600!)
    1963: Campground opens with nine campsites (now we have over 600!)
  • 1964: Sky Slide and the Flying Cages are built.
    1964: Sky Slide and the Flying Cages are built.
  • 1965: Rotojets are added.
    1965: Rotojets are added.
  • 1967: Miniature golf course and the Merry Mixer are built.
    1967: Miniature golf course and the Merry Mixer are built.
  • 1970: The Paratrooper and Spacewalk ride are introduced.
    1970: The Paratrooper and Spacewalk ride are introduced.
  • 1972: Tropical Storm Agnes floods the park and the General Store is built.
    1972: Tropical Storm Agnes floods the park and the General Store is built.
  • 1973: Haunted House constructed and in operation. The 1972 flood couldn't knock us down!
    1973: Haunted House constructed and in operation. The 1972 flood couldn't knock us down!
  • 1977: Jet Star rollercoaster is built.
    1977: Jet Star rollercoaster is built.
  • 1981: Knoebels name changed to Knoebels Amusement Resort.
    1981: Knoebels name changed to Knoebels Amusement Resort.

    Radar Speedball and the Ball Crawl for kiddies is built. The first Covered Bridge Festival is held at Knoebels.

  • 1985: Phoenix wooden rollercoaster is constructed.
    1985: Phoenix wooden rollercoaster is constructed.
  • 1987: Kozmo is adopted as park mascot.
    1987: Kozmo is adopted as park mascot.
  • 1989: Antique cars installed.
    1989: Antique cars installed.
  • 1990: The Flume ride is built.
    1990: The Flume ride is built.
  • 1993: Whirlwind steel roller coaster is installed and operational.
    1993: Whirlwind steel roller coaster is installed and operational.
  • 1997: Lake Glory Campground is Purchased.
    1997: Lake Glory Campground is Purchased.

    Skloosh opens. Road improvements include closing of the former entrance on top of the hill and opening of new access and exit highway with stop light at lower end of park.

  • 1999: Twister wooden rollercoaster completed and opened.
    1999: Twister wooden rollercoaster completed and opened.
  • 2001: 75th anniversary of the park's founding.
    2001: 75th anniversary of the park's founding.

    The Knoebels History Museum opens and a time capsule containing artifacts from present day and past years is hidden.

  • 2005: Looper, Flying Tigers and Fandango rides open.
    2005: Looper, Flying Tigers and Fandango rides open.
  • 2006: Park is flooded.
    2006: Park is flooded.

    90% of the park was submerged. It took 2 1/2 days and 11,000 man hours to open the park with over 60% of the attractions operational and 2 additional days until it was 90% operational.

  • 2007: Three Ponds Golf Course is purchased.
    2007: Three Ponds Golf Course is purchased.
  • 2011: Park is flooded as a result of Tropical Storm Lee.
    2011: Park is flooded as a result of Tropical Storm Lee.
  • 2013: Stratosphere opens.
    2013: Stratosphere opens.
  • 2014: First full season for the Flying Turns.
    2014: First full season for the Flying Turns.
  • 2015: Impulse opens.
    2015: Impulse opens.